Here, you will find links to the key company law and corporate governance pieces of legislation. Please note that many of these links are derived from Legislation.gov.uk which is currently in the process of bringing all legislation up to date to include all outstanding amendments. Where amendments are outstanding, Legislation.gov.uk does flag this up.
Acts of Parliament
- Companies Act 2006.
- Companies (Audit, Investigations and Community Enterprise) Act 2004.
- Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986.
- Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007.
- Enterprise Act 2002.
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013. Supporting documents can be found here.
- Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- Insolvency Act 1986.
- Limited Liability Partnerships Act 2000.
- Partnership Act 1890.
- Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015. Supporting documents can be found here.
- Companies (Model Articles) Regulations 2008.
- Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Market Abuse) Regulations 2016.
- Insolvency Rules 1986.
- Insolvency (England and Wales) Rules 2016.
- Large and Medium-Sized Companies and Groups (Accounts and Reports) Regulations 2008.
- Limited Liability Partnerships (Application of Companies Act 2006) Regulations 2009.
- Register of People with Significant Control Regulations 2016.
- Small Companies and Groups (Accounts and Directors’ Report) Regulations 2008.
- Statutory Auditors and Third Country Auditors Regulations 2016.
Rules with Legislative Backing
- The FCA Handbook (including the Listing Rules, the Prospectus Rules, and the Disclosure and Transparency Rules).
- The City Code on Takeovers and Mergers.
EU Legal Acts
- Regulation 1346/2000 (Regulation on Insolvency Proceedings).
- Regulation 2157/2001 (Statute for a European Company).
- Regulation 809/2004 (Prospectus Regulation).
- Regulation 537/2014 (Statutory Audit Regulation).
- Regulation 596/2014 (Market Abuse Regulation).
- Regulation 1129/2017 (Prospectus Regulation).
- Directive 1982/891/EEC (Directive on the division of public companies (the Sixth Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 1989/666/EC (Directive on disclosure requirements of foreign branches of companies (the Eleventh Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2001/34/EC (Consolidated Admission and Reporting Directive).
- Directive 2003/6/EC (Market Abuse Directive).
- Directive 2003/71/EC (Prospectus Directive).
- Directive 2004/25/EC (Takeover Bid Directive (Thirteenth Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2004/109/EC (Transparency Obligations Directive).
- Directive 2005/56/EC (Directive on cross-border mergers of limited liability companies (the Tenth Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2006/43/EU (Statutory Audit Directive, replaces the Eighth Company Law Directive).
- Directive 2007/36/EC (Shareholders’ Rights Directive).
- Directive 2009/101/EC (Directive on disclosure of company documents, validity of company obligations, and nullity (replaces the First Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2009/102/EC (Directive on single member companies (replaces the Twelfth Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2011/35/EU (Directive on mergers of public companies (replaces the Third Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2012/30/EU (Directive on the formation of public companies, and the maintenance and alteration of their capital (replaces the Second Company Law Directive)).
- Directive 2013/34/EU (Directive on the annual financial statements, consolidated financial statements and related reports of certain types of undertakings (replaces the Fourth and Seventh Company Law Directives)).
- Directive 2014/57/EU (Criminal Sanctions for Market Abuse Directive).
- Directive 2015/849/EU (Fourth Anti-Money Laundering Directive).
- Directive 2017/828/EU (Directive concerning the encouragement of long-term shareholder engagement (amends the Shareholders’ Rights Directive)).